2011-04-19

Square bike

So, yeah, I bought a new camera. I spent a whopping 17 Euros for a brand-new Holga. (Actually, I essentially got it for free, but that's another story.)

I somehow had the feeling that I needed something new to "revitalize" my photography and there certainly is a lot that's new (for me) about this camera - for example it's the first time I ever shot square pictures and it's the first time I ever had to deal with medium format film. And that doesn't even take into account all the quirks the Holga is famous for.

What bothers me a little bit is that analog "toy" cameras are kind of a fad in these digital days. I'd rather use something that's totally uncool. (But as a consolation to myself I note that even luminaries like Sylvia Plachy or Michael Ackerman use Holgas every now and then, so it's obviously possible to just use them as tools instead of making a fashion statement.)

Anyway, filling the first roll felt "liberating" in a certain way because almost everything was different from shooting with one of the Leicas.  I certainly won't use the Holga as my only camera in the future, but you will likely see more square photos in the next weeks.

Oh, and some things rarely change: The film was Tri-X as almost always.

No comments: